Monday, December 20, 2010

If it doesn’t tick, tock to the guys at Timex

Countdown: Two-Hundred-Fifty Days to IMC 2011!!

Once upon a time – oh the puns will keep coming – I watched the ongoing festivities at the 2010 Ironman Canada Expo.

Eventually, it wasn’t so difficult to miss this larger than life Timex watch (and btw Kory Seder is a big guy).
So ultimately I was keen on figuring out how this Ironman Global Trainer watch with GPS will stack up to the wonderful world of Garmin.

I couldn't resist but try on the not-so-ugly GPS watch for kicks.

The no. 1 question I had for the guys at the Timex tent – Is it compatible to Google Earth? Deep inside, I needed to know if my plan for global domination was really going to work. And really who else better to consult then Timex themselves? Dude at the booth was stumped and had to check with his boss. Turns out they weren’t sure.

Then my second question – what about the structural integrity of these wrist bands, because I have my fair share of broken wristbands whether it’s velcro or plastic. It's uncool how those straps aren't so ironproof for such ironman-related activities.

One of two similar watches I managed to destruct within a year.

The guy pulled out an envelope for me and asked me to return it for repair.
Or visit the website (link: http://www.timex.ca/en/repairform.aspx)




It was a clever green idea. Or so I first thought..
So later next week I filled out the necessary info and returned it.

The total price for a new wristband including tax and shipping worked out to be just under $17 cad. Sweet.

About 4 weeks later, I was super stoked to have a basically brand new watch. Sadly, only after a first test swim with the new watch, the top left button flew off and the watch died completely on me. The excitement was short lived. =(

Lesson to be learnt, not all green ideas are deemed bulletproof.  Just ask if building a roof made of banana peals is a rad idea?

I was super bummed and consulted Timex this time by email and they told me to just return it. Great thing about these watches is that they actually fit through a letter size envelope slot, so hence the watch I shipped only cost a little more than a loonie for regular postage. =)


Finally today, just a few days shy of christmas I got my (newly repaired)^2 watch. Thank you Timex for the early christmas gift, really appreciated it!! I will try not to break it before the new year. =)

Now that I know the system works, I shall send those other lovely broken watches to Timex. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment