Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Six Big Carrots!! - Oliver Wine Capital of Canada Sprint RR

Photo credit: Dynamic Race Events

Coming back to Oliver for the sprint this year was fun. I knew the course. A clockwise swim. A quick T1 with the big sign to mark my bike rack. A two legs out-and-back bike. And a gentle roller out-and-back run.



I'm definitely better at chasing people than running away from them. I was 19th out of the swim. 

Photo credit: Dynamic Race Events
The bike had a little hill on the first out and back, the gas station junction had to take it carefully, and then you can see your competition again coming back. I saw Stan way up ahead and I knew I was about 3 minutes back from most of the pack. Coming off the bike at 8th place, I chipped my way at the positions. 
Photo credit: Dynamic Race Events
Race commentator Steve King planted a seed of confidence in me. As I worked my way up the first hill out from transitions, he provided a little brief commentary with his deep knowledge of the sport.
One by one I put on the hurtsville factor going close to my standalone 5k time. I was wiping off about 15s off each km and only a matter of simple linear math before I caught more. Mikey was a bit further ahead this year when I caught him, simply because he got faster and wearing a wetsuit definitely made him harder to chase down.

Within 100m from the finish line I caught 2nd and 3rd places, finishing about 3 minutes behind the leader Stan. That's just racing sometimes, an ITU finishing sprint in my favour. The flat and asphalt run terrain really suited my strengths.

Thanks to Angie and Joe for putting on another great event.


A PB effort!






Photo Credit: Dynamic Race Events
Great shot of Mikey and Me




Photo Credit: Dynamic Race Events

No comments:

Post a Comment