Saturday, April 21, 2018

Impossible to get good data in a fast race! - St. Paddy's 5K

This year's St. Paddy's 5K run around Stanley Park marked my third time racing it.


I'm 0/2 when it comes to quality data collection. My heart rate band fell off in 2017 and had to carry it by hand the entire way. Now while my heart rate band stayed on this time in 2018, however I was wrestling with it the entire time.




It's a challenge to keep the heart rate band on in elevation change, hence the poor wardrobe fashion!

Photo Credit: Kudos to Lucas Socio for these pictures.
The course included a slight change for the non-athletics bc members and non-elites. An additional razor sharp hairpin bend to start the 5k counter clockwise loop. So cruel!!


The race starts and finishes at the scenic Stanley Park Pavilion. The course is a slight net uphill course and the big payoff comes in the last 2km. You could taste blood up the pipeline road hill.


The race fell on the actual St. Patrick's day, which made it special. Too bad I only forgot the wear green memo once arriving at the start. :P


The splits in the elite field were fast with the course records broken in both men's and women's. Here's my splits - I think it's safe to say the conditions were nearly perfect, with clear skies and ideal temperatures for 2018 - exactly want you want to PB.






My weak attempt at collecting some advance dynamics data :(


Overall quite satisfy with the 18:22 despite not PB-ing. This one's definitely a working man PB. Channeling the Yuki factor. :) Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment