Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Bogged Down on Process

Too often, I would apply process to my everyday activities. I would rely upon identifying action items, crafting to-dos lists, and sometimes analyzing them in fancy spreadsheets to achieve process. Numbers crunching is what I'm good at, especially from first principles. Not surprising then, I've been told many times (mostly at work) that I can be a little "too" systematic when it comes to resolutions and work-life balances. This technical savy stuff is suppose to remain in zee office; however I seem to trend towards a fuzzy boundary...

Yep, "process" has been my new favourite buzz word for year 2011. It is dee word that drives people around me crazy because I can't help but fervously engage in conversations about how X can be summed up in a XYZ process. Don't worry, I won't start on the current and future processes of my training, but that's for another day. =)

First things first tho, I will start my list of new year's resolutions for 2012.

1. As per above, I should refrain in everyway possible from verbally-engaging the word "process" to quantify everyday activities. This is to salvage any existing friendships I might have, before they all start believing I have spreadsheets all figured out to map out my tier 1 from tier 2 friends.
2. As cheezy as this might sound, I'm thinking of starting my own "Happiness Project". There are some inspiring ideas while reading the book "the Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. She applies a very systematic approach to being happier like a process, which I can definitely relate to.
3. I want to motivate others to run, not just for health/fitness benefits but because it's a great energy booster. I'll be organizing a Sun Run Team for my corporation. I'm thinking of starting up a lunch-hour run too to build motivation. Don't worry, I'll still be doing Boston in April!
4. Read more! Brilliant ideas (like the ones I'm stealing above) seem to usually come from books.
5. Travel and explore Boston and Switzerland! Current things to-do list for Boston includes eating Boston Cream Pie, lobster, clam chowder, getting one of those sweet Boston Marathon jackets, and perhaps doing the marathon since I'll be there already.

That is all for now, happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment